Chamonix Mountains

Chamonix Mountains

Saturday 3 October 2015

European Long Duathlon Champs, Horst - April 2015

Delighted to be selected for the GB team, following on from my success in the European Sprint Duathlon last year. We headed from Mallorca to Horst a few days before the event. Staying at the race HQ, the Parkhotel, proved to be a good decision. The race was not based in the town as it had been last year. Instead it was to consist of 4 laps around the park and lake for each of the 10k runs and 3 laps out on the roads for the 60k cycle. This was largely based on the route from last year and included many tight turns and involved negotiating cones aplenty! 

Concerned about keeping count of the laps, I decided to use hair bobbles and move them from wrist to wrist after each lap. Simple but effective! The first 10km run was intense and the route was busy with elite racers, as well as all of the age-group men and women on the course at the same time. 
I had worked out a route to my bike through the complicated transition and found it first time! Whilst trying to change shoes and put on my helmet, I forced down a jammy Danish pastry pilfered from the breakfast buffet and tried to shove small pieces of fruit bread into my even smaller trisuit pockets. I'm sure the Brownlees could learn from my technique!!! 
The bike route was stressfully busy and I was trying my hardest not to lose too much time or fall off! 

 
My back and neck were aching from the longest ride I'd done on my lovely new bike. I was almost finishing the third lap when my left tri bar came loose which caused me to panic a bit!! I managed to hold onto it and the bike and finish the ride safely. T2 was pretty quick for me and I headed out onto the second run.
By now, the sun was beating down on us and the marshals were getting keen with their whistle blowing ( I think this was for rule infringements). I was amazed how hard this 10k felt. I was pouring water over my head and didn't feel as strong as I was hoping. I felt sick, like crying or like stopping !! The Team GB supporters were very vocal as we passed behind the hotel and through the transition area. It was great to hear them calling out everyone's names. I was delighted to finish in 7th place. Not bad for my longest duathlon ever 🏃🚴🏃🇬🇧

No comments:

Post a Comment