Chamonix Mountains

Chamonix Mountains

Sunday 10 January 2016

New Year, 'new' sport....

After a quiet few months, recovering from the many miles run ( in a small number of races!) , I have been thinking about trying some local orienteering races. I did a bit of orienteering a couple of years ago, which the girls and I all enjoyed for a while, but things get busy and there is never time to do everything that I would like to. 
A fellow Harrier drew my attention to a local event today, which spurred me on to get out in the mud with my compass and whistle! I chose to do the long orange course which, I think, is moderately technical navigation over a long distance which was approx 5.4km (straight line distance) today.
I always have a bit of a panic at the start and a crisis of confidence over finding the first control! Luckily, I headed in the correct direction and found the first 3 controls quite easily. There was a long run to 4 which had me hoping my strategy was correct but it all worked out fine and the control was where I had hoped it would be! The most tricky ones for me, were 6 & 8. I knew where I was going but there was a myriad of paths and lots of slippery mud to disturb your concentration. I was pleased that I found the sneakily placed 10, but wasn't sure about how to get to the finish. After a bit of indecision (should have just gone with my gut instinct) I dibbed out. Returning to registration at the Scout Hut, I handed back my dibber and was happy that it confirmed that I had visited all of the required controls! Phew, mission accomplished! 

Even better, I subsequently found out that I had been fastest over the long orange course 😃

There are lots of great things about orienteering :

* it involves running, but also thinking!
* sociable - great to see my Club members in a different environment
* you are always learning something. Today I learnt that this sign ^ means a ditch and I remembered that white is the area you can run through (would have got me to 6 quicker on a bearing) and that the olive green (RHS of map) is settlement. 

Can't wait for the next one! 

No comments:

Post a Comment