Chamonix Mountains

Chamonix Mountains

Wednesday 14 February 2018

What do you eat on Ultras?

A question often posed and there is no right or wrong answer, but here are some thoughts of mine which I hope might be useful.


First of all, I try to eat 'proper' food and a mixture of savoury and sweet items. On the Montane Cheviot Goat Ultra, this is an example of some of the food that I consumed. (Obviously, there was much more).








I always have a selection of 'bars' (individually wrapped items) such as :
  • Frusli cereal bars - mixed flavours. I might not eat the whole bar at once, but eat it in pieces every 40 mins or so from the start.
  • Ritz biscuits or similar cheesy biscuits. I probably wouldn't eat all of these as they are quite dry, but I think it is good to have something salty to eat.
  • mixed bag of sweets e.g. Haribo, popcorn, chocolate peanuts and raisins, jelly sweets, twirl bites etc. I use these as a treat and have a handful when walking uphill sections or if I am feeling a bit lacking in energy.
  • snack size chocolate bars. I use various different ones, but in the photo there are Tesco versions of Mars and Snickers.
  • Soreen malt loaf, lunch box size - best eaten with a drink as they do stick round your teeth!
  • Torq apple crumble gels. These are the only brand of gels that I use and I carry them in case I feel really fatigued. I have found over the last couple of years that when I was struggling, they have given me a bit of a boost.
Other favourites include :
  • French Fries or Hula Hoops - another salty snack option.
  • small cheese and pickle sandwiches - sandwich thins 'stay put' quite well.
  • Capri Sun drinks pouch - full of sugar and tastes lovely when you are tired !
  • black coffee or flat coke, if available at checkpoints
  • hot cross buns, sometimes with cheese inside.
  • Graze snacks as they have a mixture of tastes in them and are 'interesting' to eat.
Personally, I drink water throughout the event as I don't like the taste of other sports drinks after a while.



No comments:

Post a Comment